L-arginine is an amino acid that helps the body build protein .
Your body normally makes all the L-arginine it needs. L-arginine is besides found in most protein-rich foods, including fish, crimson kernel, poultry, soy sauce, whole grains, beans and dairy products.
Bạn đang đọc: L-arginine
As a accessory, L-arginine can be used orally and locally. It can besides be administered intravenously ( IV ) .
Because L-arginine acts as a vasodilator, open ( dilating ) blood vessels, many people take oral L-arginine to treat center conditions and erectile dysfunction .
research on the habit of L-arginine for specific conditions shows :
- Angina. Studies suggest that L-arginine might decrease symptoms and improve quality of life in people with a mild to severe form of this type of chest pain.
- High blood pressure (hypertension). Some research has shown that oral L-arginine can lower blood pressure in healthy people, people with mild blood pressure elevation and diabetes, and in people with a type of high blood pressure that affects the arteries in the lungs and the right side of the heart (pulmonary hypertension). Infusions of L-arginine also appear to lower blood pressure in people with hypertension.
- High blood pressure during pregnancy. Some studies show that L-arginine infusions may lower blood pressure in pregnant women who develop high blood pressure.
- Preeclampsia. L-arginine infusions may lower blood pressure in women with this pregnancy complication. Some research shows that taking oral L-arginine might help prevent preeclampsia in pregnant women.
- Erectile dysfunction. Taking oral L-arginine might improve sexual function in men with erectile dysfunction due to a physical cause.
- Peripheral arterial disease (PAD). When taken orally or by infusion for a short period of time, L-arginine may improve symptoms and blood flow in people with this circulatory condition.
L-arginine is considered to be generally safe. It might be effective at lowering blood press, reducing the symptoms of angina pectoris and PAD, and treating erectile dysfunction ascribable to a physical induce .
however, if you take a lineage pressure drug, spill to your doctor before using L-arginine .
Safety and side effects
Using L-arginine orally or locally is broadly considered safe .
Oral practice of L-arginine might cause :
- Nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea
- Allergic response
- Airway inflammation or worsening of asthma symptoms
L-arginine is n’t recommended for people who have had a late heart attack due to concerns that the supplement might increase the hazard of death.
Xem thêm: Answers to Common Men’s Health Questions
L-arginine can worsen allergies or asthma. Use the supplement with caution if you have these conditions .
Be careful about taking L-arginine if you ‘ve had cold sores or genital herpes. besides much L-arginine in your system can potentially trigger the virus that causes those conditions .
possible interactions include :
- Anticoagulants and anti-platelet drugs, herbs and supplements. These types of drugs, herbs and supplements reduce blood clotting. Taking L-arginine with them might increase the risk of bleeding.
- Blood pressure drugs, herbs and supplements. L-arginine might lower blood pressure in people who have high blood pressure. Combining use of L-arginine with a blood pressure drug, herb or supplement might increase the risk of blood pressure becoming too low.
- Diabetes drugs, herbs and supplements. L-arginine might decrease blood sugar levels in people with diabetes. If you’re taking diabetes drugs, herbs or supplements, your dosage might need to be adjusted.
- Isoproterenol (Isuprel). Use of this heart medication with L-arginine might cause your blood pressure to become too low.
- Nitrates. Use of this chest pain medication with L-arginine might cause your blood pressure to become too low.
- Water pills (potassium-sparing diuretics). Don’t take L-arginine with amiloride (Midamor), spironolactone (Aldactone, Carospir) or triamterene (Dyrenium). These medications can increase potassium levels, increasing the risk of developing a higher than normal level of potassium in your blood (hyperkalemia).
- Sildenafil (Revatio, Viagra). Use of this erectile dysfunction medication with L-arginine might cause your blood pressure to become too low.
There is a trouble with information submitted for this request. Review/update the data highlighted below and resubmit the mannequin .
Get the latest health advice from Mayo Clinic delivered
to your inbox.
Sign up for barren, and stay up-to-date on inquiry advancements, health tips and current health topics, like COVID-19, plus adept advice on managing your health .
ErrorEmail field is required
ErrorInclude a valid e-mail address
To provide you with the most relevant and helpful information and to understand which data is beneficial, we may combine your e-mail and web site use information with other information we have about you. If you are a Mayo Clinic Patient, this could include Protected Health Information ( PHI ). If we combine this information with your PHI, we will treat all of that information as PHI, and will only use or disclose that data as set away in our notice of privacy practices. You may opt-out of electronic mail communications at any time by clicking on the Unsubscribe link in the e-mail .
Thank you for Subscribing
Our Housecall e-newsletter will keep you up-to-date on the latest health information .
We’re sorry! Our system isn’t working. Please try again.
Something went faulty on our side, please try again .
- L-arginine. Natural Medicines. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com. Accessed Dec. 20, 2020.
- L-arginine. Facts & Comparisons eAnswers. https://www.wolterskluwercdi.com/facts-comparisons-online/. Accessed Dec. 20, 2020.
- Arginine hydrochloride. IBM Micromedex. https://www.micromedexsolutions.com. Accessed Dec. 10, 2020.